Anticipating and navigating the transitions that come with growing older can be overwhelming for individuals and for families. For some, planning for their own future needs or the needs of an aging loved one can be complicated and stressful. And for those already trying to manage another person’s care, there are times when more direction or support are needed. In these cases, professional geriatric care management can be a tremendous help. Geriatric care management is a holistic approach to caring for older adults, assessing and planning for the needs of an individual as he or she enters into the later stages of life. A care manager is a professional trained to guide the course of care, like a captain of a ship, with a big picture view of the obstacles and conditions ahead.
At Aging Gracefully, we specialize in assessing the needs of individuals and families facing these transitions. Our goal is to maintain a person’s dignity, quality of life, and independence.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of services we provide:
- Conduct care-planning assessments to identify needs, challenges and eligibility for assistance.
- Screen, arrange and monitor in-home help and other services.
- Review medical issues.
- Offer referrals to specialists to avoid future problems and to conserve assets.
- Provide crisis intervention
- Attend medical appointments and advocate for the client
- Work with all the provider team to assure continuity of care
- Encourage socialization and visit with the client and make sure their psychosocial needs are being met.
- Act as a liaison to families at a distance either geographically or relationally.
- Assist with moving clients to or from home, a rehabilitation facility, assisted living or nursing home.
- Provide transportation and advocacy at appointments.
- Maintain an up to date medical history including diagnosis and current medications.
- On call 24/7 for assistance and support in the case of emergency including going to the emergency room to provide support and advocate.